Top three tablet computers for older peoplePosted by: The Stairlift Company · on 18th April 2017
My mother has more recently struggled with using computers due to pain in her hands, and tablet devices have offered a great solution to her problems. It’s not uncommon for older people to struggle with similar issues, and that’s most likely the reason why the popularity of tablet computers has increased amongst the older generation as a hassle-free way to keep connected. To help you browse your options, I’ve put together this helpful guide to the main benefits of using a tablet and the top three tablet computers for older people.
What are the benefits of using tablet computers?
There are many advantages to switching over to a tablet computer. Here are some of the main reasons to take note of.
- The lightweight and portable nature of tablets means you can easily slip them into your bag and take them with you wherever you go.
- Tablets are quick to load up, allowing you to quickly check your email or adjust your online shop wherever you are.
- If you experience motor or joint problems that make using a standard computer painful, then the touch screen of tablets can be a gentler and less painful way to surf the internet. Not only that, but tablets are lightweight, making them easy to handle.
- Depending on what option you choose, tablets are generally more affordable than their PC counterparts. They generally cost less to manufacture (due to their lighter build and less complex software) and therefore they can be sold at lower prices.
Which tablet should I choose?
There are a vast array of options available to you to choose from, but here are my top three picks.
- Apple iPad (Starting at £339): This is probably the most popular tablet on the market, mainly because it’s super easy to use and understand. Apple have always been at the cutting edge of technology, and their iPads are no exception. With high resolution displays and a high quality processor, iPads are a speedy, intuitive and hi-tech option.
- Amazon Fire (Starting from £35): If you’re seeking a low cost option that can handle the basics, Amazon Fire could be the right choice for you. Compared to the iPad, this option is less sleek, slightly slower, and has fewer apps available. However, if you’re looking for a simple, no-frills device to get you online, Amazon Fire is worth considering.
- Samsung Galaxy (Starting from £99 for Samsung Galaxy Tab A): Samsung boasts a huge range of Galaxy tablets, all with varying screen sizes and specs available, leaving you with plenty of choice. As technology has advanced, the Samsung models have become lighter and faster. Apps are also downloadable via the Google Play app store.
You are not just limited to these three options. Choose wisely, but remember to make sure it’s the right decision for you.
Here at The Stairlift Company we understand how important it is for older people to maintain their independence. That’s why we use our 20 years of experience to install and maintain quality stairlifts for customers across the country. With a 2 year warranty and free home surveys, securing a stairlift couldn’t be easier. Get in touch with our friendly advisers today for more information.View all posts »